Cardiff Met RFC | 1st Team 31 - 0 Beddau RFC | 1st Team
Harr Johnston
Conversion 3
Tom Pearson
Try 1
Jack Silvester
Try 3
Ollie Andrews
Try 1

Match Report
28 September 2019 / Team News


Cardiff welcomed Beddau RFC to Cyncoed for their third game of the Specsavers Championship Season. Play began with both teams looking to move the ball around but the game was untidy with neither side able to maintain any sort of continuity early on. A tackle in the air by Beddau's Callum Wheeler sparked an angry exchange between the two teams which resulted in a yellow card for the Beddau outside half. From the resultant penalty, Cardiff Met kicked into the Beddau 22 and from the lineout scrum half Ellis Bevan spotted space down the blind-side to put wing Jack Silvester in for the opening try - converted by Harry Johnston. From the kick off, the students produced some nice rugby to gain a 5m scrum inside the Beddau 22 - moments later they crossed for a try, only to be brought back for a forward pass. The students were, however, beginning to look more threatening with ball in hand.

With 20 minutes played, Cardiff Met conceded consecutive penalties for technical offences which gave Beddau their first real attacking platform inside the students 22. The Cardiff Met defence held firm and they were able to work their way downfield without conceding any points. As the game moved into the second quarter play was still rather disjointed, with neither side really able to play with any continuity. A second outbreak of fighting involving a number of players from both teams resulted in both captains being spoken to by the referee. Cardiff Met scored their second try following an outrageous, but higly effective, crossfield kick by hooker Corey Lewis which was collected by wing Jack Silvester who produced a powerful run to cross in the corner for his second try of the game - again converted by Harry Johnston. This gave the students a 14-0 lead going into half-time.

Early in the second half a Cardiff Met counter attack saw full back Andrew Nurse beat several Beddau defenders and then chip the ball into the dead ball area to allow wing Jack Silvester to pounce for his hat trick score. There then followed a period of Beddau pressure which saw the away team gain a number of attacking opportunities inside the Cardiff Mett 22. The home sides defence held firm and they were eventually able to move play upfield. The students then produced some good phase play which resulted in second row Tom Pearson crossing for his teams' bonus point try which was converted by Harry Johnston to take the score to 26-0.

Another outbreak of fighting between the two teams finally saw the referee take action and red cards were issued to Iwan Shenton (Cardiff Met) and Morgan Burgess (Beddau). The game failed to produce anything of note in the closing stages until the final play of the game which saw replacement prop, Oli Andrews, pick up a loose ball on the half-way line and race 50 metres for a great individual try. Final score Cardiff Met 31 Beddau 0. 

Match Sponsor, Mrs Sue Watt of Cartwright Travel,  presented Man of the Match Jack Silvester with his award (see picture)


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos