Cardiff Met RFC | 1st Team 33 - 19 Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team
Evan Lloyd
Conversion 4
Zachary Clow
Try 1
Ethan McVeigh
Try 1
Charles Rylands
Try 1
William Rigg
Try 1
Ollie Andrews
Try 1
Steffan Lloyd Castle
2 Conversion
Luc Caines
1 Try
Zachary Beynon
1 Try
Josh Jarrett
1 Try

Match Report
26 January 2020 / Team News



On a damp, misty afternoon the students attempted to lift the gloom by starting brightly, pressurising Ystalyfera inside their 22. The pressure created by the students resulted in an early try for prop Ollie Andrews to give Cardiff Met a perfect start. From the restart, Ystalyfera were able to build a number of phases and were awarded a penalty on halfway, which they used to gain a lineout inside the Met 22. As they attempted to threaten the students try line they were penalised for not releasing at the tackle allowing the Met the opportunity to clear their lines. Almost immediately, Cardiff Met were awarded another penalty which allowed them to gain a lineout inside the Ystalyfera 22. The resulting maul was well defended by the visitors and they were able to exit well from the resulting scrum. At the next lineout, Cardiff Met won good possession and opted to move the ball wide allowing them to break the defensive line with Ethan McVeigh running a good inside support line to score the students second try, this time converted by Evan Lloyd. 

A period of rather poor play followed, with neither side able to create any consistent phase play. Ystalyfera then lost possession on the home side's 22m line and the ball was hacked upfield by Evan Lloyd allowing centre Will Rigg to chase and score against the run of play. With the try again converted by Evan Lloyd, the students now held a 19-0 lead and were looking fo the bonus point try. Straight from the kick off, lock Liam Malkin broke through and started off an attack which, following some good interplay, resulted in a try for wing Zac Clow, again converted by Evan Lloyd.

Ystalyfera showed some good character in responding with the next score of the game through wing Luc Caines, superbly converted from the touchline by full back Steffan Castle. The game drifted towards half-time with neither side able to produce anything of note and the referee called a halt with the home side leading 26-7.

The start of the second half saw the home team immediately going on the attack and following a good sequence of play Charles Rylands was able to cross for the next score with Evan Lloyd again converted. With the score now at 33-7, the home supporters were anticipating a flurry of further scores for the students but this was not to be. Credit must go to Ystalyfera for the fighting spirit showed in keeping themselves in the game, and it was indeed the visitors who provided the two remaining scores in what was a very poor second half of rugby.  With replacements Josh Jarret and Zac Beynon crossing for tries, the second of which was converted by Steffan Castle, the game finished at 33-19 to the home side. 

Whilst the students will be pleased to have recorded another bonus point win keeping Bedwas firmly in their sights in the battle for third place in the table, there will be some concerns with regards to their second half performances of late. With the BUCS Super Rugby programme resuming on Wednesday with the visit of Northumbria University, they will be aware of the need for an all round improvement in performance.

Finally, a mention must go to the Match Sponsor - Mr Phil Davies of Hospital Innovations. Phil, a native of Ystalyfera and former student at the college, is a great supporter of both clubs and his help is much appreciated.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos